- Wicker baskets - This basket from Crate and Barrel's bath department serves as an "inbox" on my desk. A fun tray could work too.
- Candy - I'm always amazed at how effective a dish full of candy is for promoting office gossip. Offer up a few Hershey's kisses and you'll suddenly be kept completely in the loop.
- Candle - Ross is my source for inexpensive office candles.
- Beta fish - My beta is in a big hurricane glass (sort of like this one) with pink marbles and a green plant. It's nice having an "office buddy."
- Bulletin board - Post important notes as well as photos and other happy reminders of your life outside of work on a framed bulletin board. I hung mine vertically to make it more appealing.
- Calendar - An office essential! Avoid these and find a fun traditional calendar. I have a vintage fashion poster calendar up that was a gift from Margaret.
- Vases - Add a splash of color with some bright porcelain vases. It would be lovely to have a plant too, but my office doesn't have enough light.
- Mirror - A round mirror breaks up the squareness of your desk and walls. Framed art is also a great choice.
- Coat hook - Pick one that is fun and matches your style.
- Rug - I happen to have an oriental rug in my office. If you can, do!
Thursday, June 08, 2006
Dress your office in wicker and porcelain
Ah, the office! My home away from home. The start of summer serves as a reminder as to just how much time you spend at work. Luckily, I just finished a minor office remodel and my space is looking pretty nice. Here are my tips for a happy cubicle: