Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Party Round-Up: Tour Finale

Last Sunday's Tour de France party was a big success, if I say so myself! Great guests, good food and plenty of competition. This photo is of Jill and Stacey watching Contador win the race.











Food
I stuck to the basic menu I'd planned out earlier in the week. I made the big veggie tray first, blanching the asparagus quickly by pouring boiling water over the spears. I prepped the tart in advance too, mixing fresh blueberries, raspberries and blackberries in a tart pan and covering them with a crumble mixture. Sandwiches were assembled right before the party. Tip: only bake the cambozola until it is just barely melted, otherwise the oils separates and it gets a little gross.











Decorations
I made a yellow rose and flowering basil arrangement the night before. The dining room table had on my "frenchiest" tablecloth on along with a bowl of fruit and artichokes.

Drinks
We went with Red Bicyclette wine and Fat Tire beer.

Contest
The Tour de France challenge was the best part. Each guest was assigned a bike team name and earned points for various challenges during the commercial breaks. We had tour trivia, card games, drawing contests and a race to inflate a balloon with a bicycle pump. Plus, bonus points for dressing in theme and for completing a marathon earlier in the day (Stacey and Ben). Prizes include a bike cap, reflector stickers and a pack of vintage bicycle playing cards.











Eric was our grand prize winner for the day!

8 comments:

MissScientistSF said...

I have that shirt! It is one of my favorites :) Sounds like an excellent party.

love.boxes said...

The asparagus looks beautiful!

Mrs. Bryant said...

Your coolness astounds me.

Jessica said...

I love Red Bicyclette and Fat Tire! I would have been a happy camper, or biker as it were.

Anonymous said...

All this bike talk has finally inspired me to take your blue schwin that got left behind to the bike shop for a little TLC. Really I think it just needs new tubes. They said I could pick it up later today!

MissEm said...

Sweet!

mamacita said...

yellow roses and basil are GENIUS, MissEm.

amber said...

love the blanched veggies - they look so happy & colorful!