Friday, August 17, 2007

What to Wear: Back-to-School

Emily sent in a what to wear request for a wedding outfit back in April. I recently heard from her again, with a new request and a photo of her wearing pretty much exactly what I'd picked out (I love when that happens). Here's her request:
I'll be starting the new school year in about a month and would like to spruce up my working wardrobe a bit. I'll be teaching third grade and while I don't need business suits, I would like to present a professional front (i.e. no denim jumpers with schoolhouses!!) I don't need a whole wardrobe, perhaps just some mix/match pieces. I'm petite so I don't mind heels, but I'm on my feet all day so something comfortable is in order. Any help would be appreciated!
What a great opportunity for some back-to-school shopping. I've put together some basic pieces along the same color scheme that Emily can mix and match:

Cardigan - From American Eagle in "academic aubergine."
Shirt - A basic ivory henley.
Skirt - A corduroy skirt seems like it would be just right for school. On colder days, wear with opaque tights.
Flats - These gold flats from Nine West seem like they'd be really comfortable.
Necklace - Make good use of the fact that teachers seem to get much more accessory lee-way. Replace an apple/macaroni necklace with this bauble from Forever21.

Jacket - Modern without being intimidating or too weird. Equally cute with long or short sleeves underneath.
Shirt - This type of collar is so flattering and sort of romantic. Makes your neck appear extra long!
Trouser Jeans - Seriously, trouser jeans and wrap dresses are my two favorite things. I love that these are a little dressy but still very machine washable.
Flats - Comfy and stylish in dark leather with a buckle.
Bracelet - Also from Forever21.
Purse - A brand new brown leather and snake print bag from Kenneth Cole is a great splurge. These bags last forever.

It looks like Emily will be teaching her third graders some valuable fashion lessons!

8 comments:

Calie Anderson, C.I.D. said...

I so enjoy when you do these posts. I love that shirt from Anthropologie, I'll have to stop in there tomorrow to check it out.

Emily said...

So perfect! I love that plum color in the shirt and sweater. Thanks again!!

Jill said...

I have to say I LOVE your what to wear posts... they keep me coming back for more!

Sara said...

that shirt (the plum one) is beautiful!

c styles said...

i really like this post but can you do a what to wear post for people who wear uniforms to school?

MissEm said...

Uniforms? What kind of uniforms?

Lorrie said...

Could you post other jackets similar to the one from BCBG with a smaller price tag?

MissEm said...

Do you have an H&M in your area? They often have cute little jackets like the BCBG one, but cheaper!