This weekend was a great combination of fun parties and sheer laziness! On Friday, we went straight from work to our office party at a Portero Hill sports bar. Solidarity with co-workers, excellent buffalo wings, a salsa band and a taxi home after midnight.
Saturday morning was dedicated toward my Christmas cards straight after breakfast. I watched movies and managed to finish 80 cards in a single shot. By lunch we were feeling beat, so I made the best recovery sandwiches:
Morning After Bagel Cure
- 1 toasted jalapeño cheese bagel
- Cream cheese (thin layer on each side)
- 2 pieces of turkey bacon (microwaved to a crisp for 5 minutes)
- As much fresh lettuce as you fit
We felt a lot better after the bagels and ran some errands in the neighborhood. It was super chilly and everyone was busy with holiday chores in the Castro. At 6:30, we dressed up and walked to a Christmas party at our friend Jill and Peter's. To bed around 1 am.
Rob and I slept in on Sunday, finally motivating for another great recovery meal:
Breakfast Tacos for Two
- 4 eggs, whisked with 2 teaspoons of Sriracha hot sauce and fresh pepper, and scrambled
- 2 tablespoons of pico de gallo salsa, cooked into the eggs during the last minute.
- Shredded cheese, added on top of the eggs when you're ready to serve.
- 4 corn tortillas cooked on the gas stovetop.
I baked a batch of gingerbread cookies before bundling up to walk to my cousin's holiday party, she lives about 3 miles away on Guerrero. We had a nice time drinking Mitchell's egg nog and eating Tartine cookies with her and her friends.
We walked back home at dusk, stopping at the produce market for dinner supplies. Once again, it was delightful to see all the decorated homes and cheery bundled-up crowds. Even the outdoor cafes were full:
We had spicy olives, artichokes and a giant salad for dinner while it started to rain outside and I watched Meet me in St. Louis for the second time in two days.