1. Sunset at Crissy Field - A former military airfield turned into a lovely bay-side park. Watch the evening fog roll over the Golden Gate Bridge as you jog or enjoy a beer at the Warming Hut.
2. Sutro & Lands End - Two lovely hiking spots on the very north east corner of the city. Lands End is full of wild paths and rocky beaches with views of the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. You can have lunch at the Legion of Honor or picnic at "secret garden" Sutro Park.
3. Twin Peaks - The actual heart of the city and an amazing spot to see a bird's eye view of the landscape. It's a good companion with a visit to Golden Gate Park or the Castro.
4. Dahlia Gardens - In September and October, a visit to Golden Gate Park has to include a stop at the Dahlia Dell. It's semi-hidden next to the Conservatory of Flowers and offers a firework display of dahlias in all colors.
5. Fort Funston - Just south of Ocean Beach and past the zoo, this beach-front park has old military bunkers to explore. It's a favorite scene for local dogs and hang-gliders. Swing by Sloat Nursery on your way back home.
6. German Tourist Club - A hidden Bavarian beer garden tucked away in Muir Woods. Founded in 1912, the club continues to offer German beer, snacks and board games. Hike in with your own gourmet picnic and friends.